Thursday, May 30, 2013

Homemade Vegan Butter with Radishes and Toast (Lecithin, Soy, Nut, Gluten and Dairy Free) + the Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg

The realization that one can make homemade vegan butter is jaw-dropping. No more plastic tubs. No more unpronounceable ingredients. The future is no longer bleak... Exaggeration? Possibly. I'm prone to dramatization. But we're talking truths here. Vegan Butter - although a bit of an oxymoron - is possible and attainable in your own home. And for dairy-free and vegans everywhere, that is a brighter future.

 {Pin it}
{Pin it}

Most recipes for vegan butter use a lecithin and a gum. I'm sensitive to gums so I tend to avoid those and I wanted to use things I already have in my pantry (and if you've made my coconut milk cheddar, you will too). I've had vegan butter on my To-Do List for quite some time but I didn't get the gumption until I read the Books for Broads March & April book pick:


This radish toast recipe was inspired by  A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg. She blogs over at Orangette. Her beautiful stories and witty food humor were incredibly enjoyable. Although not dairy or gluten free, the recipes were elegantly simple, mouth-watering, and inspiring. And that's ultimately what I look for in any book - Inspiration. Parisian romance is a plus.


{Pin it}


Homemade Vegan Butter (nut, lecithin, gum, soy dairy, and gluten free)
1 cup coconut oil *
3 tsp agar agar powder (avilable on amazon)
1/2 cup coconut milk (plain and unsweetened - almond also works well)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

3 TB grapeseed oil
1/2 tsp salt

*If you don't like the coconut oil taste use Refined Organic Coconut Oil which doesn't have the coconut-y flavor that extra virgin or unrefined does.

1. Put coconut oil and agar agar powder on medium heat in small saucepan until it starts to have a rolling boil. Remove from heat and let cool five minutes.
2. Meanwhile add apple cider vinegar to coconut milk.
3. Pour all ingredients in a food processor or vita mix. Blend two minutes or until completely incorporated. Put in fridge (or freezer for quick solidity).




To make the Radish Toasts:
Vegan Butter (Recipe above)
Black Pepper or Favorite Flaky Sea Salt
2 Bunches of Radishes
Gluten-free Toast (I used Udi's Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread) but it would also be delicious on one of my favorite recipes from the talented Sarah Britton from My New Roots - this sprouted and leaven-free life-changing loaf.

Toast bread slices, top with butter, radish slices, and flaky sea salt or cracked black pepper.

Enjoy!

Question of the Day: What do you plan to do with your vegan butter?

*Just a note, I've not attempted baking with this vegan butter but as soon as I do, I will let you all know how it turns out!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...